Sunday, January 25, 2009

Jury Duty

You know it is funny when you mention to people that you have been called for jury duty the response range from sympathetic to enthusiastic. One person told me they felt sorry for me. I asked why and they said because you have jury duty.
Jury duty is a civil duty. It is my responsibility, no my duty, as a citizen of this country. It is the responsibility and duty of every legal citizen in this country over the age of 18. The principle of a jury was established by King John of England when he signed the Magna Carta in 1215.
I feel that this is a privilege I have as a citizen of this country. I have a say in the law. I also believe that only God can truly judge, but punishment must be meted out to fit a crime and in our society we must do our duty to make sure that it does fit the crime and is not cruel and unusual punishment. There are times when people commit acts of such violence that they must be taken off the streets to protect innocent citizens and it our duty to make sure we are protected.
Many people feel that carrying a gun is the way to protect themselves, but I feel that violence begets violence. I do not believe in the death penalty, though there are times I do consider it might solve many problems. I feel that God is the only one who can truly met out such justice and if he feels that the time has come for someone to leave our world he will take them in his own way.
I do feel that I have a duty to step up when my number is called and serve my city, state, or country in the court room as a juror and to do so to the best of my ability.
I have served on a jury one time previously and it was a learning experience for me. I hope that I will gain more experience and knowledge in doing so again. I look forward to serving again as is my duty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It Is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to Pay Off Your College Loan

  There is a key point that the leftist are totally missing in their, asinine argument, saying that the government should pay off student lo...