Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Sweet Potato Chili

 


Ingredients:

1 -  15 oz can Tomato Sauce

2 or 3 - 15 oz cans diced, crushed, or petite tomatoes or use a can of tomatoes and green chilies in place of one can of tomatoes

1 - 4 oz can of green chilies

1 - 15 oz can Kidney Beans, rinsed and drained.

1 - 15 oz can Black Beans, rinsed and drained

1/2 to 1 - box 32 ounce vegetable broth

1 - onion finely chopped (you can choose to sauté them or not)

1 or more finely chopped jalapeños

2 chopped red peppers

4+ cloves garlic finely chopped

1 TBS sugar

1+ TBS Ancho Chili Powder or regular Chili Powder

2 medium sweet potatoes chopped into 1/2” pieces

1/2-1 tsp Cumin

1 TBS oregano

We like it spicy so I add more jalapeños or jalapeño powder and more chili powder. 

I usually throw chunks of onion, jalapeño, garlic, a can of green chilies and one can of tomatoes in my Ninja and blend it so it is like a thick baby food or chunky baby food and then dump it in the chili.

I also prefer to blend my tomatoes so they are more like crushed tomatoes if I do not have crushed tomatoes.

I dump it all in the pot, bring it to a boil, then turn the heat down and let it simmer for a few hours to thicken up and cook the sweet potatoes. OR I dump it all in the crockpot and let it cook all day or even over night.

You can also soak your beans and cook them first if you want to use dried beans the equivalent of 2 - 15 oz cans. I sometimes throw in into beans of just use two cans of. kidney beans.  If you like more beans you can throw in a third can.

Hubby likes it with cheese sprinkled in and his cornbread on the side. I like to crumble my cornbread into the chili.

ALTERNATIVE:

You can replace the sweet potatoes with a 15 oz can of pumpkin, NOT pumpkin pie filling.

I have also shredded carrots in to the chili as well. You can even shred a little bit of kale and throw it in or blend it in with the tomatoes to add more veggies, just be careful as too much can make the chili bitter.





No comments:

Post a Comment

It Is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to Pay Off Your College Loan

  There is a key point that the leftist are totally missing in their, asinine argument, saying that the government should pay off student lo...