Saturday, December 1, 2012

Pumpkin and Black Bean Taco

In November I went to a craft fair here in Anchorage and Two Fat Guys Catering had a booth. They were selling several items but the one that caught my eye was their butternut squash taco.  I tried it and it was to die for. This sent me on a mission, find a recipe that was similar and make them at home.
I spent several hours searching the internet and came up with several recipes that I then used bits and pieces of to make my own version of the tacos. I made them last week and my husband said they were a keeper. In fact I am thinking that I may make them again tonight.
My version is below.



Pumpkin and Black Bean Tacos

Ingredients:

  • 4 plum tomatoes
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1 jalapeno pepper
  • 1/2 a medium pumpkin, peeled and seeded, or a butternut squash works just as well.
  • 1 onion, I like the sweet ones, chopped
  • 1-2 TBSP olive oil
  • 1 tsp coriander
  • 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/8-1/2 tsp cumin, depending on your taste.
  • 1 dash of cinnamon, (maybe 1/8 of a teaspoon)
  • 1 TBSP cilantro 
  • 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
  • 2 TBSP chili powder, your favorite brand.  I like to mix a little Ancho Chili powder in with the regular chili powder.
  • 1 15 ounce can low sodium black beans
  • 6 to 8 corn tortillas
  • feta cheese  or Mexican Four Cheese

Bake 

1 jalapeno pepper at 400° until lightly blackened. 
     (I used a cast iron skillet to bake mine.)

Mix together

I/2 of a medium pumpkin cut into 1/2" cubes
1 sweet onion, chopped
1 TBSP olive oil
1 tsp coriander
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper 
1/8-1/2 tsp cumin 
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 to 2 TBSP chili powder
1 dash of cinnamon

Spread out the pumpkin and onion mix in a single layer on a cookie sheet and bake 20 to 25 minutes until soft and starting to turn brown. Stirring after 12 minutes.

Peel, seed, and chop the jalapeno. I like to keep a few seeds, but it depends on how spicy you like yours.

Skin and chop tomatoes
  
Mince garlic.

Saute garlic in olive oil over medium heat. Add tomatoes and 1 TBSP chili powder. Simmer to reduce liquid.  Add jalapenos and black beans, stirring carefully until heated through..  Stir in cilantro and adjust the seasoning if you like it spicier. (You can add in red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper if you like.) Cook until the juice is absorbed or steamed off.

To serve spread tomato and bean mixture on corn tortillas, add pumpkin mix and top with feta cheese.


You can use flour tortillas if you want, that is how I had them orginally.  We prefer corn tortillas.  You can also add lettuce, but I liked them just the way I made them. 

Let me know if you try them and what you think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

It Is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to Pay Off Your College Loan

  There is a key point that the leftist are totally missing in their, asinine argument, saying that the government should pay off student lo...