- 2 -3 good size sweet potatoes peeled & chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 4 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 - 2 tsps Ancho Chili Powder
- 1 - 2 tsps fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 - 2 tsps cinnamon
- 1/2 - 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 - 2 tsps black pepper
- 1/2 - 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 - 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 -3 TBSP Lime Juice
- 1/2 - 1 TBSP olive oil or butter your preference
Chop the onions, celery, carrots, and garlic, then saute in olive oil or butter until tender, about 10 minutes.
Peel and cut up the sweet potatoes while the onions, etc... are sauting.
Add the broth and spices stir well to make sure they are mixed in. Add the sweet potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for a minimum of 20 minutes, or several hours until the sweet potatoes are tender. I like to let it simmer all afternoon or cook over night and all day in the crock pot on low.
Puree in blender and serve.